Why was my transaction declined?
Updated 2 weeks ago
There are a number of reasons why a transaction might be declined. Here are the list of the most common ones:
- The transaction amount will go into your Safety Net amount
- If it’s your first in-person spend, you’ll need to use Chip and PIN to show it’s you – afterwards, you’ll be able to use contactless up to £45
- Your account is blocked
- You’ve not activated your card yet
- The transaction will take you over your credit limit
- You’ve entered the wrong card details, such as your PIN, three-digit security number or expiry date
- You’ve blocked cash withdrawals / gambling in your account preferences
- We think that the transaction might be fraudulent. To protect our customers from transaction fraud, we may decline transactions that look particularly suspicious, and block the card from further spending
If it’s none of the reasons above, please get in touch by starting a live chat.
Was this helpful?